Monday, December 13, 2010

Some people will do anything to get attention?

I remember it well. It was a large vivid photograph of a young guy. He was down on all fours with his eyes clearly focused on a bunch of pigeons eating the leftovers of someone’s lunch. It appeared to be in a public park with benches in the background.
The caption under the 8 ½ X 11 sheet of paper that the photo was printed on said “I’ll work for crumbs”.
In the upper left corner was the ubiquitous staple holding page two. When I flipped the page, I was surprised and then I smiled. It was a resume, but not your typical resume.
Economy of words
The content was different, short, bulleted and to the point. But best of all: It spoke to some of the things he can do for the company. It was not self-serving as many that you see. For instance, under the standard objectives heading: “I want this or I am seeking a...” That is a mistake I have seen 95% of the time on resumes.
I was very impressed
This kid was smart. Every word was chosen carefully. For good reason, he was looking for a copywriter position. I was impressed. But I didn’t hire him. I just didn’t need another copywriter.
Uber famous ad man David Ogilvy said “An ad does not need to look like an ad” to get attention.
‘not-so-famous ad man John Howlett says” If you want a job in advertising, be creative to get attention. You will leave a lasting impression for the future”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers